Postgres 9.5 install for GDIRDU Intro to SQL
- Download the installer for Version 9.5.4.
- If you’re not sure which installer you need, open System Information (Windows 10) or Control Panel > System and Security > System (Windows 8) and look for an entry in System Summary titled System Type. If the entry is “x86-based PC”, download the 32-bit installer. If it is “x64-based PC”, download the 64-bit installer.
- Once the download is complete, click Run
- You may be asked whether you want to allow changes to your machine; click Yes
- Proceed through installer. Accept defaults. Set the superuser password to ‘admin’ (or something else you will remember!)
- You will have the option to launch Stack Builder after install. You don’t need to do this.
- Find “SQL Shell (psql)” in the Start menu or by searching for it.
- Click enter to accept defaults for Server, Database, Port, and Username. When you see the prompt
Password for user postgres, enter the superuser password.
Once you have entered the password, you should see something like:
psql (9.5.4) [Possibly a warning like "Console code page differs from Windows code page"] Type "help" for help. postgres=#
You may exit by typing
\q, then Enter.